IT Service Support: Incident Management
All organizations must deal with incidents affecting their IT services and customers. When an incident occurs, it’s imperative that it be handled using a standardized process which ensures any incident reports are properly categorized, prioritized, and resolved. In this way an organization can reduce the impact and cost of the incident in the fastest manner possible. Incident Management aims to provide that mechanism, and it focuses on ensuring that incidents are resolved quickly.
There are several activities associated with Incident Management, including:
• Detect and Record Incident: Detecting an incident or accept a report of the incident from a user.
• Classify: Classifying and prioritizing an incident based on the needs of the business.
• Initial Support: Providing initial support to the user, e.g., immediate assistance from a help desk
• Investigate and Resolve: Researching and determining a resolution for an issue
• Track, Monitor, and Communicate: Providing ongoing tracking of the incident and communicate with the user on the status of the resolution process.
Traditionally, products that address the needs of Incident Management provide Help Desk capabilities. These capabilities include the following:
• Providing users the ability to submit reports containing incident information. Once submitted, these are often referred to as “tickets.”
• Allowing help desk technicians to categorize the ticket based on business needs. For example, assigning a higher priority to tickets from a revenue generating department.
• Tracking progress notes and communication between users and the help desk.
• Determining key metrics such as the average time required for a technician to resolve a ticket.
Table provides a review of each product’s capability to address the ITIL activities for Incident Management.
Incident Management Product URLs
Double Choco Latte http://dcl.sourceforge.net/
Liberum Help Desk http://www.liberum.org/
Microsoft System Center: Service Manager http://www.microsoft.com/systemcenter/s ... fault.mspx
IT Infrastructure Library V2/V3 and IT Service Management discussions
1 post • Page 1 of 1
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests