Time Restrictions?
Windows Server 2003 installation and configuration, performance, management, Active Directory and more...

Adminimum
Rank1
Rank1

Time Restrictions?

by Adminimum » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:15 pm

Can someone please explain the system time requirements and what's going wrong here to me?

I had a workstation that had an incorrect date/time so when it attempted to join the domain it wouldn't allow it stating the system time was too far apart from the domain controller's. I never had this happen before. It turns out if the user goes into the calendar in the system tray (double cilck clock) and applies another date to the system they lock themselves out of joining the domain due to this error. Does the time not sync upon boot or something? I've not seen this before. I cannot replicate this on all workstations, only some.

Any advice?

ManU
Founder
Founder

Re: Time Restrictions?

by ManU » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:52 pm

Hii...thank you for asking questions here..

From my preliminary observation, I guess it is purely the issue with the workstation's CMOS battery. Just open your computer, replace the battery and recheck the situation..
Thanks
MANU PHILIP
Microsoft MVP(Exchange Server)
| MCITP | MCTS | MCSA | ITIL V3 |
TechNet Forums Profile: ManU

Adminimum
Rank1
Rank1

by Adminimum » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:19 pm

The battery seems to work fine. The time and date is kept correctly. Here is two situations to explain my concern:

WORKING as I expect situation:
1) I open the calendar, select a date way in the future, hit apply
2) I reboot the machine
3) I log into windows, no errors, the date is adjusted to be corerct

ERROR workstation I don't understand:
1) I open the calendar, select a date way into the future, hit apply
2) I reboot the machine
3) I try to log into windows, but it tells me my local time is vastly different from server time and isn't allowed to join the domain because of this

I know it's a default domain policy that clocks must be close in time, however, I don't understand why this workstation doesn't adjust it's time like the first situation. I'm having this happen a lot because my end users use the windows calendar to look up future dates and accidently save.

ManU
Founder
Founder

by ManU » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:38 pm

Hi again,

It seems like some issues with your 'Windows Time' Service of the workstation. The time service mayn't be synchronizing with the PDC. Go to Control Panel-->Administrative tols-->Services and check this service in workstation. Generally it is set as "manual' for stsrtup type.Try to make it 'Automatic' and check

You may also follow the steps
1. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.
2. Type net start w32time, and then press ENTER
Thanks
MANU PHILIP

Adminimum
Rank1
Rank1

by Adminimum » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:02 pm

Hi ManU,

That was my initial thought. However, the windows time service is running and is set to automatic startup.

I cannot explain why on this workstation I can set the date out a month in the future in the OS, reboot, and get locked from the domain. This simply doesn't happen on other workstations. Hmm.

ManU
Founder
Founder

by ManU » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:17 am

Hai again,

After some web research I found some useful stuff which may be applicable for you. Here I can give some steps to configuring Windows Time service to use the workstation's internal hardware clock

To configure the Windows Time service to use an internal hardware clock, you can change the announce flag on the authoritative time server. Changing the announce flag forces the computer to announce itself as a reliable time source and to use the built-in complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) clock. To configure the Windows Time service to use an internal hardware clock, follow these steps.

This is for WindowsXP machine. I didn't tested in another operating systems

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
2. Locate and then click the following registry entry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Config\
3. In the right pane, right-click AnnounceFlags, and then click Modify.
4. In the Edit DWORD Value dialog box, under Value data, type 5, and then click OK.
5. Enable NTPServer.
a)Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\TimeProviders\NtpServer\
b)In the right pane, right-click Enabled, and then click Modify.
c)In the Edit DWORD Value dialog box, type 1 under Value data, and then click OK.
6. Exit Registry Editor.
7. At the command prompt, type the following command to restart the Windows Time service, and then press ENTER:
net stop w32time && net start w32time
8. To reset the local computers' time against the time server, run the following command on all the computers except the time server:
w32tm /resync /rediscover
Thanks
MANU PHILIP

tauseef-it
Rank2
Rank2

by tauseef-it » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:07 pm

try to synchronize your workstation and servers with the help of it