Find User

Windows Server 2003 installation and configuration, performance, management, Active Directory and more...
sudhakar
Rank1
Rank1

Find User

Post by sudhakar » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:11 pm

Hi,

I want find the list of file names , type of access(read,write,like attrib commands info) and who is accessing the file on the windows server 2003. Reason behind my question is, while trying to delete the files its not allowing to delete at specific time due to other user accessing the same file,so i want find that user and information.

Thanks in Advance.

ManU
Founder
Founder

Re: Find User

Post by ManU » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:44 pm

HelloSudhakar,

Is this you are looking in to? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/814595
Thanks
MANU PHILIP
Microsoft MVP(Exchange Server)
| MCITP | MCTS | MCSA | ITIL V3 |
TechNet Forums Profile: ManU

sudhakar
Rank1
Rank1

Post by sudhakar » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:17 am

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I am deleting the old backup of sql server files from the particular windows path by scheduler. Its happening at midnight of the day.sometimes its often giving failure message due to unable to delete old backup files.Hence i want verify status of the files (who is accessing and what kind of access) which is exists in the specified directory.

I have collected the list of files and attribute(Read-only,hide,...) by using the Attrib command. But i could not find the user name who is accessing that files.

ManU
Founder
Founder

Post by ManU » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:29 am

Hello Again,
I will try to describe the file auditing method. You may try this for your sql database files.

Enable Object Access auditing
1. Open the Active Directory Users And Computers console. Right-click Domain Controller and select the Properties command from the resulting context menu.
2. Go to the Group Policy tab, select the group policy that you want to audit, click Edit, and Windows will load the Group Policy console. Navigate through the group policy console to Computer Configuration | Windows Settings | Security Settings | Local Policies | Audit Policy, as shown in the Figure.
A.gif
A.gif (23.3 KiB) Viewed 2496 times
Double click on 'Audit Object Access' and select both the 'Success' as well as 'Failure' attempts

File access auditing
Once you've enabled object auditing, go into Windows Explorer and navigate to the sql database file that you want to audit. Right-click the object and select the Properties command from the resulting context menu.

When you see the object's properties sheet, navigate to the Security tab and click the Advanced button. You'll now see the Access Control Settings For dialog box. Next, select the Auditing tab, click the Add button, and select the users or groups that you want to audit. Click OK to continue. You'll now see a long list of auditable actions related to the object. You can perform a success and/or failure audit on any of these objects by selecting the appropriate check boxes. Click OK to enable the auditing.

Note: Kindly make sure that the applied policies are working fine

Review the security logs in Event viewer for any file access on your sql database file with details.
Thanks
MANU PHILIP
Microsoft MVP(Exchange Server)
| MCITP | MCTS | MCSA | ITIL V3 |
TechNet Forums Profile: ManU

sudhakar
Rank1
Rank1

Post by sudhakar » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:49 pm

Hi,

Thanks for your elobrate reply.

Since its live server and also i could not do any changes in group edit policy. can you tell any commands for accomplishing this task?

sudhakar
Rank1
Rank1

Post by sudhakar » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:16 pm

Find solution from this url http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... 90961.aspx

openfiles.exe /query /fo list /v this command providing the exact information what i expected.