How to upgrade dc from 2003 to 2008 Server
The best method is Transition of your domain from 2003 to 2008. Here you prepare the new Windows Server 2008 Domain Controllers as the extra Domain Controller for your domain. After transferring the roles you can keep the new system as the DC. Follow the steps
1. Configure IP address (STATIC) to the Windows Server 2008 system
2. Run adprep.exe with necessary switches to prepare it ADC environment
3. Run dcpromo.exe and make the new system as an extra DC
4. Make the new server a Global Catalog server
5. Install DNS on the new server and make it active directory integrated. (You need to do this step if your old server is the DNS currently)
6. Copy any data you'd want in new Windows Server 2008 box (except for the SYSVOL and NETLOGON shares, these will be copied automatically)
7. Migrate any Server roles you'd want to migrate to the new Windows Server 2008 box (like DHCP, Print Server etc.)
8. Transfer all the FSMO roles to the new Windows Server 2008 Domain Controller.
9. Demote your Server 2003 box using dcpromo.exe
Transitioning your Active Directory will not require you to configure anything on the desktops systems
Windows Server 2008 related tips, questions, answers, concerns and more...
1 post • Page 1 of 1
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest