Microsoft SCCM 2007 provides a comprehensive solution for change and configuration management for the Microsoft platform, enabling organizations to provide relevant software and updates to users quickly and cost-effectively.
Configuration Manager 2007 provides the following features:
- Collecting hardware and software inventory.
- Distributing and installing software applications.
- Distributing and installing updates to software.
- Works with Windows Server 2008 operating system Network Policy Server to restrict computers from accessing the network if they do not meet specified requirements, for example having certain security updates installed.
- Deploying operating systems.
- Specifying what a desired configuration would be for one or more computers and then monitoring adherence to that configuration.
- Metering software usage.
- Remotely controlling computers to provide troubleshooting support.
Configuration Manager 2007 sites provide a way to group clients into manageable units with similar requirements for feature sets, bandwidth, connectivity, language, and security. Configuration Manager 2007 sites can match your Active Directory sites or be totally independent of them. Clients can move between sites or even be managed from remote locations like home offices.